Trainee Workshop Engineers/Installers - 2 posts
28 March 2018
£14,665 per annum
Capital Document Solutions is Scotland's largest independent
supplier of office equipment and document solutions, with over 200
employees working out of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee,
Inverness and Shetland. We provide print and document
solutions tailored to specific business needs to a large customer
base, with offices and premises throughout
As the major Scottish dealer for market leaders Ricoh, Konica
Minolta, HP and Canon, we work closely with our customers to
achieve significant reductions in their operating costs through our
managed print services and at the same time, help them to reduce
their carbon footprint. We are a leader in our field and also
one of only 8 approved Scottish Procurement public sector
suppliers. Our reputation in the industry is second to none
and has been established over the years by our highly trained
staff. Capital has grown significantly since being
established in 1979 and acquired Highland Office Equipment in 2013.
We are an ISO 9001 (Quality) ISO 14001(Environment), ISO 27001
(Data Security) and Cyber Essentials (Data Security) accredited
Mainly based in the Edinburgh HQ workshop on McDonald Road, the
job will develop across two main roles:
- Training on all aspects of the devices in the workshop,
including the addition of associated software
- Delivering and commissioning the devices in clients'
You will work 37.5 hours a week, Monday to Friday.
Progressive basic salary as you complete training levels. Generous
33 days' holiday (increasing to 36 days after 2 years' service and
38 days after 5 years), including public holidays. Auto enrolment
into the company pension scheme after 3 months. Clothing and safety
What might a day in this job look like?
- Shadowing and assisting /learning from the more experienced
- Building and repair machines
- Installation of devices into clients' premises
- Fault find and decomission or refurbish devices
- Loading and driving vans
- Checking the installation access and site
- Liaising with the clients.
What will I learn?
- Training will be geared towards achieving an SVQ Level 3 in
Engineering Maintenance (Electronics). Attending day release at a
local technical college will be required.
- Career progression beyond gaining the SVQ, which typically
takes 3-4 years to complete, could lead to opportunities, as they
arise, depending on aptitude, as follows: field maintenance
engineer, helpdesk engineer, IT software support/ solutions
engineer or even a move into a sales executive position. Equally,
you may develop to become a senior member of our Workshop
team. Our management team in Service have generally started
out as junior or trainee engineers.
- Full training will be given to service, customise, commission
and refurbish top-ranked multi-functional printer/ copier/ scanning
- Health & Safety and environmental training.
What Qualifications / Qualities are required?
- No previous experience of digital office equipment is required,
but you should have a keen interest in electronics/electro
mechanics, and the ability to interpret colour output from a black
to colour printer/photocopier
- You should have a clean driving licence to take your turn
driving the Luton vans, with ideally at least a year's driving
experience under your belt. A driving assessment will be
undertaken for each trainee beforehand and you will initially be
accompanied by more experienced engineers.
- Our reputation is built on excellent customer service and "can
do" should be a natural part of your make-up, whether you are
engaging with clients, suppliers, colleagues or the
- Attitude is as important as the skills that you bring to this
role. We aim to grow our business through growing our people
and our vision statement is: to continuously strengthen our
business and be proud of all that we are and do. To be
successful, we will expect you to demonstrate personal values that
match our company culture of integrity, responsibility, care and
- Our engineers also load the devices on and off our Luton vans,
for which you will require a good level of physical fitness,
particularly to deal with more complex office
The opportunity will close when suitable applicants have been
How to Apply:
To apply for this job please visit the Edinburgh Guarantee website.